100% Frazzled!

Today has been one of the most frazzling days I’ve had in a VERY long time. It doesn’t help that I started the day quadrupling my morning calendar. How in the WORLD did I do that?? A couple of months ago I committed to a workshop on Vision that was to be 9:00 – 3:00. Then a couple of weeks ago I received an email invitation to an 8:00 breakfast introducing our new State Senator, Tim Scott. I jumped all over that invitation, without checking my calendar. Then I received a text from my dear friend and prayer partner, Di asking if we could pray on Friday rather than Thursday and I responded, “Sure” as if I had nothing else to do on this Friday the 18th of January. And as if that wasn’t bad enough, Clay called me after he got to work this morning and said, “Do you remember that you have your HRA (Health Risk Assessment) here at 9:15?” What??? I responded, “Honey, I canNOT be there for that. I’ve got a workshop that starts at 9:00, and I’m already missing the Tim Scott breakfast. I can’t do it. You need to reschedule” to which he responded, “Today’s the last day for HRAs. You have to come. And I hope you haven’t eaten yet because you have to fast until they draw your blood.” Great. So I said, “Fine. I’ll be there.” I sent out a text that I would be late for the workshop, grabbed my purse and went on to Milliken in hopes I could have my HRA earlier than 9:15. I hate needles. Well, really it’s not so much needles that I hate. If you’re gonna give me a shot with them they don’t bother me. But when you start poking them in my veins trying to take my blood, that makes me lightheaded and nauseated – even typing about it! So as if my morning was not already frazzled on every end, the tech couldn’t find a vein in my right arm. I had already told her I needed her to talk me through this so I don’t pass out, and she wasn’t doing that. She didn’t say anything until, “I’m gonna have to go to your left arm. I’m not having any luck in this one.” Of course. Then I could feel her poking around in the left arm, moving the needle around, and she said to another tech, “Can you get me another tube? I think the problem is a bad tube.” To that I said to Clay who had been in line behind me but had already had his blood drawn and was walking around fellowshipping, “Clay, you’re gonna have to talk to me or pick me up off the floor.” He could tell in my voice that I was not kidding. I was fighting it. And he did a great job keeping me company and getting my mind off of it. So I left there without fainting, rushed all the way to the other side of town for the workshop where I arrived an hour late. I was just getting settled in when I received a text from Di asking what time we were meeting to pray. Really? Did I really agree to reschedule our weekly prayer time to Friday the 18th where I already had tripled my calendar of events?? Since no one else in my group had shown up for the workshop, I made the decision that I’d rather be praying, so I left.

After lunch I walked over to the CPC side of the office in hopes of getting cheered up, and I guess they were having a bad day too. I knew if I didn’t get out of there I was gonna break down and cry like a baby. That’s how I felt. I felt that at any moment I was going to have a complete meltdown. Thankfully I received an email that I needed to respond to so I excused myself and escaped. The rest of the afternoon I worked on contribution statements, all the while listening to Selah on Pandora and fighting tears. What in the world was wrong with me? Clay called and asked how my day had been, and that was all it took. I’m sure he wished he had asked any question other than that.

Do you remember the scripture that I used yesterday? Let me remind you (or me)…

“Base your happiness on your hope in Christ. When trials come endure them patiently, steadfastly maintain the habit of prayer” (Romans 12:12 JBP).

Today I based my happiness on my circumstances, my quadrupled calendar. Trials came, self-inflicted trials, and I didn’t do very well enduring them. But what I did do right was maintain the habit of prayer. I had a lot of talks with Jesus today. I told Him all about my troubles. And it was during one of my rantings to Him that He brought this scripture to my mind. I love how He works! And the reason He could bring this scripture to my mind is because I had read it in the first place. That’s why reading the scriptures is important!

So at the end of this 100% frazzled day, I am at peace. I am happy because my hope is in Christ, not in my circumstances.

Please pray for Poppy (Leon Houchins). He fell and broke his ankle on Wednesday. Clay and Deb have gone to spend the weekend with him. It’s hard to see our parents suffer. Thanks for praying for him! Have a great weekend.



Leave a Reply